Did you go to school?
Why did you want to leave?
What was working in Alaba Lagos like?
What happened next?
“What about University sir?
So how would you train your children
Does that mean going to school is a scam?
Of course not. It only becomes one when you go for the wrong reasons. Higher education gives you the required knowledge for the career path you want. It is impossible to be a doctor, lawyer, nurse, architect, engineer or other professional careers without formal education. A degree or higher education seems like a scam or a waste of time when it gotten for the wrong reasons. Go for it if because you want to pursue that career path, not because of peer pressure, family, money or title. A degree or higher education is now not the only route to financial freedom.
Before you get that second degree, masters, or take that professional course
Make sure you are doing it for the RIGHT reasons. DO it because
- It is a requirement for your career
- to gain mastery in your field
- to stay up to date with current trends and innovations
- getting it is necessary for career advancement
- It would help your personal development
Don’t do it because
- everyone is doing it
- just because you want to gather certificates
- you want to make money from it only.
Money is good, a title is good but these should not be your only motivation.